Bowen’s Science Day Online 2021 is here! While our community will be sharing our science discoveries online this year, participating in Science Day is still easy and fun! Simply decide on your project, register by Sunday, April 11, and get busy! You can work alone, with parents, or team up with classmates. Or, you can just mark your calendar and join for an exciting day of science. Everything you need to get started is below!
EXCITING FOR KIDS: Share something you think is cool about science! Your presentation can be an experiment you try, an invention you create or a hobby you enjoy. Work on your own or with a team of friends or siblings from any grade.
EASY ON PARENTS: Projects should be kid-quality! You can design your own project, get inspired by these kid-friendly science web sites, or choose one from the list created by Bowen parents and teachers. The rules are simple. And, each project will get a free project board! Check out this website about project boards, and see Bowen poster boards done in past years for ideas. Projects will be shared using Flipgrid, which is user-friendly and already used by many Bowen students. Help with technology is available on request!
FUN FOR EVERYONE: All students are invited to create a science project! Even if you don’t create a project, come to the online event or explore the Flipgrid pages and check out what your friends have done!
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: To reserve space for sharing a project, you need to register by Sunday, April 11. Parents and guardians will be contacted by e-mail to confirm registration.
What will be different about Science Day?
Science chaos in the Bowen gym? We love nothing more! But, like with so much this year, we have to adjust some things. So what’s different this year? It turns out, not too much!
- Students get to do real hands-on science projects on any topic they choose? YES!
- Friends share a fun afternoon of science? YES!
- Scientists in lab coats check out your project? YES!
- Everyone gets a free poster board? OF COURSE!
- Students will share their projects on an easy-to-manage platform, Flipgrid, and also at the Science Day Online event on May 2nd.
We even get to do a few NEW things this year!
- The traditional classroom Science Day kickoff experiments are coming to your home via Zoom so the whole family can enjoy! Learn what a scientist does and check out a fun experiment at Science Fun for the Whole Family at 6:30pm on both Thursday, 4/1 (grades 1 & 3 & 5) and Tuesday, 4/6 (grades K & 2 & 4).
- Using Flipgrid, Science Day projects will be shared online from May 1-May 9. Send us your presentation by May 1 and your family and friends who live near and far can check out your discoveries!
- Projects have fewer restrictions and don’t have to fit into a 2’x3′ space. By using Flipgrid to share our projects, you can make a video presentation, google slides, give an explanation using poster board, or any combination. Be creative and have fun with this! Technical details and opportunities for help with Flipgrid will be available in April – stay tuned!
- May 2, 1-3pm is our Science Day online event! Share your Flipgrid presentation or demonstrate live during our Zoom event with friends and scientists. We will send more details about the event organization in April – stay tuned!
How do I get started?
- Decide on your project. Here’s a list of sites to check and ideas to get you going.
- Register your project by Sunday, April 11!
- Once you know what you will be presenting, share it on Flipgrid in any way you want!
What are the important dates again?
- Registration opens – Today!
- Science Fun for the Whole Family – Thursday, 4/1 (grades 1 & 3 & 5) Tuesday, 4/6 (grades K & 2 & 4)
- Registration closes – April 11
- Flipgrid help available – April 11-May 1
- Flipgrid projects due – May 1
- Projects available for online viewing – May 1-May 9
- Bowen Science Day! – May 2, 1-3 pm
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions!
ALL YOU NEED TO GET STARTED ON SCIENCE DAY