Ways to get kids to school:
- Walk from home –Wake up ten minutes earlier. It’s good for the brain and good for the body. If your child is responsible enough, s/he can walk with a buddy from the
neighborhood and perhaps an adult that walks regularly to keep an eye out.
- Park and walk – If you need to drive to get closer to school, park on one of the side
streets nearby where parking is allowed and walk your child to school.
- Park and drop – Find a safe place to park fairly close to school and allow your child (who is responsible enough) to walk to school on his/her own from that point.
- Bus – Bus passes for K-5 students are free and available for students who live over a
mile. Students who live less than a mile may also be able to get a bus pass if there is
availability on the bus. Current bus stops for Bowen are listed here. More information on how to apply for a bus pass is here. Students arriving at Bowen from outside of Newton may also arrive on the bus.
- Utilize Langley Path – There is a circle and long driveway off of Langley Rd that
continues all the way to the Bowen Upper Field. This is a convenient and safe pick up
area for children who are independent enough to walk to or from there alone or with a buddy. Alternatively, it’s a safe place to park and walk your child to or from school.
- Blue Zone – If you are able to abide by all of the Blue Zone Rules, you may use the Blue Zone to drop or pick up your child outside of the front of school. Please see the Blue Zone rules below.
Important tips to Be Safe:
- Only park in areas safe for parking.
- Cross the street only at crosswalks.
- Keep crosswalks free of vehicles to keep crossing children safe.
- Double parking on Cypress (or anywhere) is not legal nor safe.
- Turn off your car if you’re parked.
- Children should exit cars onto sidewalks only.
- The Bowen staff parking lot is off limits to all parent cars during school hours.
- Walking to and from school with a buddy is safer than walking alone.
Your children are watching you; be a role model and make safe and responsible choices.
Blue Zone Rules:
You may only use the Blue Zone if you and your child can follow all of the rules below. If not, the Blue Zone is not for you.
- Children must get in and out of the car quickly, by themselves. This includes seatbelts, car seat and booster belts, car doors and carrying backpacks.
- Drivers may not get out of the car.
- Blue zone is a live zone – no parking at all.
- Do not double park. It is illegal and unsafe. Please arrive at school when the school day ends.
- Continue to Parker Street. Never make illegal U-turns outside of Bowen on Cypress Street or on Bow Rd.
If you have any questions or need help getting to school safely please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
During Covid, drop-off and pick up are a bit different. See the map and instructions below.
Students meet a staff member at their grade level waiting area before school starts
- Kindergarten ? front patio near the side front door at the parking lot entrance
- 1st grade ? front patio close to the main entrance door
- 2nd grade ? front patio near the side front door at the parking lot entrance
- 3rd grade ? back parking lot entrance by Bowen After School Care Program
- 4th grade ? side basketball court close to the side door near the library
- 5th grade ? the tents next to the 5th grade modulars back doors
Adults are encouraged to say goodbye to their child at the school driveway or playground and let their child walk independently to the grade level waiting space, if possible. There will be staff greeting and directing students to the correct arrival door everyday.
Late Arrivals: Students will use the buzzer at the front entrance and sign in at the main office.